Did you all make any New Year’s resolutions? Mine are going to be fantastic, mainly because I didn’t make any. In the spirit of resolutions I’ve decided to list the 13 things I’m most excited about for 2013 (not in any particular order). Giddy up and enjoy!
- Mega Trip 2013: Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Manchester, London, New York and D.C…holla at your girl! I mean is this a trip or what? Be jealous, you all should. On the other end I will probably not be able to take another long vacation for at least a year, so there is the flip side for the haters.
- Lincoln Half Marathon: Last year I ran my first half marathon and I loved it. I was even super excited to hear that my husband happened to get a picture of me at the exact moment when I crossed the finish line in Memorial Stadium. What a swell guy! Only, he took a picture and cheered loudly for some random brunette girl that was not me and it only took him about 15 minutes to realize this. This year he is tasked with taking a picture of his actual wife.
- Nebraska Science Festival: or NE SciFest (that’s what all the cool kids call it). If you don’t know about NE SciFest, shame on you nerds! It’s a three day festival of science in Omaha that will be held in April, featuring a FREE keynote evening event with Bill Nye the Science Guy. Did I mention that my job is to plan the festival? Well now that you know this project is near and dear to my heart you all should plan on attending and if you do science of any kind (do science?? the hell?) then sign up to have a booth at the expo portion. www.nescifest.com
- Memphis and The Lion King: I love musicals, even the bad ones (except Cats and Company, those two are the WORST). My husband did not get me anything for Christmas this year (Editor’s Note* FALSE! *Wife’s note – buying me a polar fitness watch on the plane traveling to our Christmas vacation hardly counts). I will continue to hold this over him for months, as a wife it is my duty. So to make up for it I made him get tickets to Memphis and said he had to attend. He wasn’t sold on the idea at first but when I told him the keyboard player from Bon Jovi wrote the music, he seemed to be more open to the experience (Editor’s Note* Also false *Wife’s note – debatable). I might just have to start telling him Bon Jovi is involved in a lot more things, I might be onto something here (Editor’s Note* I honestly don’t know where this is coming from? *Wife’s note – LIES!). My husband is off the hook for The Lion King, I’ll be attending with Casey and Michelle, my two theater-going-friends. Which, some of you may already know this, but the last time the three of us went to a performance at the Orpheum Theater I was vomited on. A kid up on the balcony projectile vomited OVER THE BALCONY onto my shoulder and chair. I, of course, was wearing a white t-shirt. Thankfully it was during the last song before intermission in Mamma Mia, but still, it was extremely traumatizing and I’m pretty sure my friend apologized to those around us for the language coming out of my mouth (I mean a few “f%&ks” are totally warranted in a situation such as that).
- My pugs: They are the cutest! I love them and their hate for my husband (they don’t really hate him, strongly dislike maybe…). That is all.
- Awards Season: My husband and I love movies and TV. We watch a lot of great shows (I also watch a lot of great crap) and we try to go to a movie at least once a week, depending on what’s out. I also enjoy the fashion at all the award shows, I mean some of those dresses are breath-taking! Some though, are hideous. If I were a celebrity and had someone I was paying to style my ass, you bet I will look like a mother-f**king boss. There are far too many hot messes that need to re-evaluate their style staff. Fact. Finally, my twitter is quiet active for these celebrations (Golden Globes, Grammy’s, Oscars) so if you want some amazing drunk thoughts/recaps/musings, then you should follow me.
- Summer Sunday Funday at the pool: 2012 was the year of the pool for my husband and I. Every weekend in the summer we were at a pool in Bellevue or Omaha with some of our friends. Sundays though were a little special because my husband and I would first eat at Tacos el Peligro (DANGER TACO, YOU GUYS!!) then meet up at the local pool for an afternoon of marinating in the sun and water, hoping the danger tacos wouldn’t ruin our lives. Also, I tan super easily; I think I might be secretly Latina (is that racist?).
- Wearing my sequin pants: Do I even need to explain?
- Planning a 2 year celebration for The Two Headed Nerd Comicast: Last year after a year of podcasting, my friend and loyal Two Headed Nerd listener Jim Heavey helped plan a one year celebration for the dudes. Jim even made a signature cocktail for the event, it had vinegar in it and after one or two it became crazy delicious. At the party we presented the nerds with a signed copy of their write up in USA Today with a nice little note from Whitney, who runs the Pop Candy blog at USA Today. Then they did a little question and answer thing, and had the whole crowd record a cuss fueled introduction for the show. I can’t wait to start planning the next party, it is going to be EPIC (seriously, like I would turn down the chance to NOT have a party)!
- Once Upon A Time: Still obsessed, and all caught up. Captain Hook is slowly becoming my favorite (yes, I realize how ridiculous that sounds and technically this show could fall into the crap I watch on TV category).
- Turning 33: I’M OLD! I’m pretty sure when I turned 26 my husband declared he was going to turn me in for a younger model, just like car. Romantic, right? Apparently he changed his mind, and I’m still around, which is probably for the best since HE IS SUPER OLD. I also really like that I’m turning 33 in 2013, it just has a nice ring to it and there is probably some weird mystic star aligning goodness that is to come my way (probably not, but whatever, I like to think there is some meaning behind it besides, you know, science and math).
- New bathroom: Our bathroom has pink and blue tiles on the floor and wall. It truly is a site. This is finally the year when the pink and blue goes, and a nice white bathroom with white and black floor tiles, a pedestal sink and some wanes-coting finally arrives. Also, who are the dumb-asses that built a house with a WOOD WINDOW in the shower?! Be gone old molded wood window, hello new plastic window that will actually open. I’ve never been so excited for a window or a bathroom then I am right now.
- Reading more: The lovely ladies at my work have started a book club for 2013. (SIDE: So I was going to link ‘lovely ladies’ to a video of the cast of Les Miserables singing it. Then I realized that song is about prostitutes sung by prostitutes, and the ladies I work with are not prostitutes – not that there is anything wrong with that, well no, there is something wrong with that, but I digress. I’ll just link to that song here since it is now on repeat in my head. END ASIDE). I love to read and do a good job of pounding out a few books a year but by having a book club I’ll be required to read stuff I might not normally pick up, and that is exciting to me. Also, maybe I can recommend World War Z, as it is going on like four years of me trying to finish reading it. Maybe now I actually will.
There you have it, the 13 things in 2013 I’m excited about. Now just a disclaimer, there are probably like 1000 other things I will be super stoked about that happen this year (one of them being an NHL season), but as long as the above 13 pan out, the rest will be icing on the cake. Speaking of cake, I made hot chocolate cupcakes tonight, fun fact for you dear readers.
Happy New Year!
Kacie Baum is a professional partier, mother of two pugs, and the wife of Matt Baum. She tolerates the constant presence of the Two-Headed Nerd in her home each week. She did not write this bio. Pre-THN entries of Girl Meets Nerd can be found here.